Microsoft Azure Event Grid
Azure Event Grid is a fully managed event routing service that enables you to easily manage events across many different Azure services and applications. It simplifies building event-driven and serverless applications in the Azure cloud.
Event Grid vs Event Hubs
Azure Event Grid and Azure Event Hubs are both services that help you build applications for event-based architecture that enable them to communicate with different systems by sharing information through events.
Key concepts of Azure Event Grid
Event Grid can distribute events from different sources like Azure Media Services to different handlers, like Azure Function or Webhook. Features and functionality of Event Grid include:
- Events – What happened.
- Event sources – Where the event took place.
- Topics – The endpoint where publishers send events.
- Event subscriptions – The endpoint or built-in mechanism to route events. Subscriptions are also used by handlers to intelligently filter incoming events.
- Event handlers – The app or service reacting to the event.
Key concepts of Azure Event Hubs
Event Hubs are an intermediary for the publish-subscribe communication pattern and are a service used to process very large numbers of events (millions per second). They are the starting point in the event processing pipeline.
Advantages of Event Grids
- Dynamically scalable – An Event Grid connects data sources and event handlers quickly. It is natively supported by event handling mechanisms in the Azure cloud application.
- Advanced routing – Azure Event Hubs easily captures most events and routing to the event handlers.
- Extended support – Both built-in and custom events are supported.
- Advanced message routing and filtering – Filters can be applied to event types so that its information reaches only the appropriate event receiver. Filters enable intelligent routing and standardized event schema.
- Lower cost – A pay-per-event price model results in very low cost.
- Enterprise integration – Event Grid supports millions of events per second and provides reliable messaging using 24-hour retries and dead lettering so that messages are not lost. Event Grid is highly scalable with systems able to create events at an extremely high rate.
- Serverless architecture – Serverless, Op’s automation, and integration work are vastly improved and more efficient.
In summary, the Azure Event Grid is a reliable event delivery service at a massive scale. Azure Event Grid facilitates building event-driven serverless apps that can effectively solve real-time business problems and is designed for high availability, consistent performance, and dynamic scale.
TwoConnect can help get there!
If you want to pursue or expand your Azure Event Grid, contact TwoConnect to discuss the possibilities designed for your specific needs.